Thursday, September 1, 2011

Exquisite Corpse

I am participating in an Exquisite Corpse exhibit, where I got paired with two other artists with an open reign on doing our collaborative works as we wanted.

How do I describe it in one word: limiting.

It is a limiting process as you have to deal with more constraints than usual. The medium, scale, time and the usual paradigms you have to work within are coupled with having to work with others' works, creativity, pallets, mediums, and vision. The challenges however force you to let go of the freedom you would have otherwise had. Art should not and is not only about possibilities and so it should be able to tackle this lack of freedom. As I install and review the installation, I ask myself, did it?

Some of the images of my pieces incorporated in a larger mixed media piece:

"Homage to Bacon", Avisheh Mohsenin, Mixed Media Installation in a Box, 2011
 
"Ladderal Exploration", Avisheh Mohsenin, Mixed Media Installation in a Box, 2011
(rotate clockwise, 90 degrees)
 

 
Exquisite Corpse
Independently Curated Show
Curator: Jenny Lam
Fulton Street Collective
Chicago, IL 2011


More on the show and details on the opening here:

for Paul Klein (Chicago's independent art critic preview on the show): http://www.artletter.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment